The Ultimate - Frysk Hynder Cognac Cask 2007/2013

In 2013 I tasted this at the Pot Still Festival and was curious about this one because it was matured in a 1st fill Cognac Cask for 6 years. Distilled on the 19th of June 2007, matured in cask #53 and bottled at 46% on the 29th of August 2013. In total 707 bottles were produced.

Had a quick nose and taste at the festival and was expecting a deeper flavor profile due to the Cognac influence. Had some of the original Frysk Hynder before, and was not blown away by their spirit. And hoped that this was going to be better. But sadly found it a bit flat, and lacking depth. I ask some people around me, and they also told me that this was not something to write home about sadly. Gave it a 6 out of 10 back then.

A while later Werner brought a sample over of a bottle he had so there could be another closer look at it and some more tasting notes. On the nose I find it to be a lot like wet cardboard at first mixed with some sour milk notes. Unripe berries, gooseberry and grassy notes. Hmm not off on a good start I am afraid here. The palate shows me also some very sour berry notes and (watery) vanilla, granny smith apples and sponge cake. Some raisins, canned mixed fruit juice, red apple, cassis and oranges are coming through that layer of berries. Not a very long finish and bit "woody" almost. Think my score stays as it is sadly. Thanks Werner for sharing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment