Old Pulteney - Noss Head - Tasting Notes




We had the luck of participating in a Old Pulteney Twitter tasting with some of their new travel retail expressions. The Noss Head was one of them. 

The whisky is featuring the Noss Head lighthouse, located just four miles north of the distillery, and was matured in ex-bourbon American oak casks. It’s bottled at 46% ABV and non chill filtered. The price is is £39.99 for 1 litre bottle.

The nose was full with sweet tones of raisin, vanilla, chocolate, fruit, lime, and some mint.

It first gave me an impression of a mix between a rosé wine and 7-up strangely. Then the sweetness came to the front, combined with lemon candy and also in the back a hint of salt.

On the palate you can find some smooth oily tones, filled with orange, chocolate, marzipan, sugar, coconut, and pepper. It has some tropical fruit tones in it, but then the dry wood, like red wine overpowers a bit. 

This warm, sweet, like sugar, but dry mouthfeel lasts a bit, so lets say a medium long finish. But I have the feeling like I drank a very heavy red wine. My mouth feels dry, that is something I do not like very much. 

I liked the nose, but the palate switched quickly to the dry mouthfeel and that is a shame. It is certainly not bad at all, and give it a small 7, because the nose is very nice, but the palate is to raw for me maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment