Vintage Rye 23 YO - Tasting Notes

Vintage - Rye 23 yo


Nose
First thing that comes to mind is the church incense, combined with sweat brown sauce. A weird mixture with raisin, sweet, but a bit damped. Needs some time to open up. It has thick, warm, spices, wood flavours. Combination of cinnamon, and a bit cookie dough covered with warm summer fruit. Not sure I like it, but it has some different layers to it.

Palate
It starts with really, really bitter. Then heavy wood and clove flavours. Then comes the strange bit. You know the taste of the sweet lolly pops with bubble gum in it? Then for a short bit the bitter notes come up again, and when those wears of a sweet vanilla chocolate tone, but very light. The bitter is very strong.





Finish
Not much of a finish. Just bitter and ashy.

Score
5 out 10, the nose does not match the palate at all. I find other reviews where people say the palate is sweet and nice, but I could not find it. We have tried it also with water, and nothing changed, and with ice. With ice the nose became a bit more mellow, fruity and fresh. But the palate just became a bitter ashtray, the taste like a full ashtray left outside in the rain. This is a 47%, Straight Rye Whiskey.

They say this is a 'Vintage' rye from Kentucky Bourbon distillers, home of Old Bardstown bourbon and the Small Batch collection (Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek etc). We had other better experiences with bourbons recently, so this was a bit of :-( to us. It got some points from me for the nose, but the whole experience was not so good. Maybe it is this rye bit, also do not like the corn experiences so far... The experience with the rye from Zuidam, was a whole different experience to me, that one got a 7 from me and I liked it. Maybe this 23 yo one is just too old? Too long in the cask?


Tasting scores explained a bit. It all depends on the moment, ambiance etc, but to have a guideline for my own preferences. This differs for each person. See my wish list in the menu above to see what I prefer the most at the moment. A low score will not meen I will maybe give it a second chance on a later time, but for now it is not for me...

1-5   Mhmm... Not liking this one...
5-6   Don't have to wake me up for this, not bad, but not my preference
6-7   I like, but they just miss something, to make me wanna buy a whole bottle
7-8   Well, you can start waking me up for these, more depth, these I would love to add to my collection
8-9   These are to be enjoyed slowly. These I absolutely would love to have a bottle, but sadly not always in my price range. 
9-10 Well, what can I say, just wow...... No words to describe it. Wake me up now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment