Old Pulteney - 12

When visiting the Pulteney distillery recently a sample was shared of the 12 year old whisky that is bottled at 40%. On the nose I can find notes of green apples, gooseberries, pomegranate, creme honey, vanilla, heather, some floral notes, liquorish root, nutmeg, graphite, bit dusty and a hint of pencil shavings. 

With these notes I expected some more bitterness and sour notes on the palate but I was surprised with honey and fruit sweetness. Vanilla, raisins, cranberry, dried apricots, red apples, oranges, grilled pineapple, banana and pear juice. There is a creamy citrus freshness and herbal note going on in the medium length finish that I have spotted also in the new make spirit before. 

Some notes from the nose and palate on the 12 year old I can find also in the new make and some similarities in the 17 year old expression but there it is less present then here in the 12. The 17 did feel more balanced then the 12 year old. But this one feels more interesting and stronger "present". If only the nose had some less dusty and graphite notes and a bit more sweetness then it would be for me a higher score but for now I give it an 7 out of 10. Thanks for sharing the sample!  

No comments:

Post a Comment