Glenlivet - 12 year old

During the #TheGlenlivetCipher TT a year later then the notes made below I had another look at the Glenlivet 12 year old expression. I was not blown away by this one earlier, so very curious to see what I get this time. Matured in traditional and american oak, bottled at 40%.

On the nose ripe peaches and granny smith green apples. Vanilla, toffee, hints of fennel and cumin seeds, bit green grassy note, soft honey, lemon freshness and honeysuckle. Ok, that is a bit different then the 2015 review. Lets have a look at the palate and see what it gives me. It is a sweet palate with notes of vanilla, raisins, creamy, fruit, nuts, marzipan and woody spices. Hmmm got more the last time I tried this. I now have a citrus bitter on the not too long finish between the fruit and toffee sweet notes. Bit dry on the finish, lingering towards tannin's. Could have used some more strength to give it more body? Don't like the spice dryness with the tannin's feel to it. Scoring me an 6,5 out of 10 during this tasting. 

2015 review

I have tried this Glenlivet expression on two occasions. One from an official sample and the other recently from a blind sample. Both times I got about the same notes on it. Just a bit more extensive on the second go. It changed my score overall just a bit but not much... Nose is sweet and has notes of honey, roses, tropical fruits, green apples, peaches, grassy, vanilla and fudge. The palate has notes of pepper, creamy, apricots, pineapple, cinnamon, toffee, bananas, plums, honey, different fruits, red and green apples, chocolate and fruit cake. The finish is sweet and of medium length, bit nuts on the after taste, fruity and fresh. Vanilla, raisin, chocolate and dried fruits. Scored it on the first try a while back an 6,5/10 and now tasted blind an 7 out of 10 but it does feels a bit too watered down?

No comments:

Post a Comment