Gordon & MacPhail - Brora 1982 / 2008

In the Dornoch Castle Hotel bar I found an expression from the Brora Distillery bottled by Gordon & MacPhail in their Connoisseurs Choice line. It has been matured in refill sherry buts, distilled in 1982 and bottled in 2008 at 43%

The nose has soft sweet, fruity and spicy notes that remind me of fruit cake, rum raisins, vanilla sponge cake, cherries on juice, light roasted coffee and a malty note going through it all. Dried fruits, warm red apple, pastry dough, powder sugar, light note of marzipan, macademia nuts, hazelnuts, light toffee note and a light seashell note in the back (after a bit)

The palate is a lot like the nose but carries more fresher notes from oranges, citrus, mint and grapefruit. Makes me think for a short bit about after eight and pistachio ice cream. It has a light nutty and earthy note with lingering towards a bit floral set of flavours almost. A medium length finish, with a bit dry nutmeg feeling in there, scoring me an 8/10. I liked the Cadenhead bottling a bit more, they are totally different but that one packed more of a punch I thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment