The Glenrothes - 1995 - Tasting Notes

The Glenrothes 1995 expression is bottled at 43%. A lovely whisky with lots of sweet notes and fruits on the nose and palate. I am quite unfamiliar with Glenrothes must say so lets see what they them selves have to say about this expression before heading over to my own tasting notes shall we? Or watch a video of Ronnie Cox leading us through a tasting of this one...
The Vintage 1995 was the first ever Vintage specifically laid in cask with the intention of, when mature, bottling as The Glenrothes. With about 30% from first fill American Sherry oak delivering butterscotch: Spice and dried fruits from 1st fill Spanish Sherry oak and the rest from refill casks giving the characteristic Glenrothes balance and complexity of flavour. Arguably it is preferable post-dinner when conversation is in full flow. It fulfils every anticipation of The Glenrothes: A "come-hither" nose filled with exotic spices is followed by a citrus and fruity richness coated in honeyed butterscotch. These flavours, and more, are all delivered on the palate culminating with a long, rich and satisfying, fruity spiciness
As said before I don't had much experience with Glenrothes. The ones I have tasted had a bit sulphur note to it I found not pleasant. But not giving up on it, knowing lots of people find these very lovely, I must try more and more to see what more is out there, and for sure, I am beginning to appreciate the Glenrothes more and more. We purchased a little sample pack to try at home, with three expressions and very surprised by my opinion now of them. Still finding the sulphur note, but not bothering me as much as before. There is a time for everything, and looking forward to discovering more and seeing what this distillery can surprise me with.

Nose
Sweet, tropical fruit, fudge, dark chocolate, creamy, thick, spice, vanilla and sultanas.
With some water added more fruit and citrus come to the front more, it becomes more fresh bit menthol freshness in the back...

Palate
Rich, sweet, prunes, bit leather, liquorish, vanilla, dried fruits, tropical fruit note, pineapple, mango, bit dryness on the finish and chocolate. With some water added it has more honey sweetness and fruity all over.
Vanilla and liquerish notes enhance more with some red summer fruit.

Finish
Medium length finish, bit creamy, hint of dryness and chocolate

Score
Scoring this one a 7,5/10, lovely dram. With some water and time added it looses a bit the sulphur note I was getting in the start and becomes more rich, creamy, fruity and sweet. Maybe that was the "mistake" I made before with Glenrothes expressions, don't gave it enough time to let it open up and show me its full colours. Time to go exploring I would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment