Bruichladdich - Sherry Classic - Tasting Notes

The Bruichladdich Sherry Classic "Fusion" Fernando de Castilla is finished in Sherry casks from the Bodega Fernando de Castilla. Bottled at 46% and non chill filtered. As stated on the website of Bruichladdich "Fino, Palo Cortado and Manzanilla casks co-exist beautifully with the vanilla sweetness of Bourbon barrels"

Nose
Sweet, dried fruits, soft leather, bit wax, red apple, banana, plums, dates, raisin, vanilla, toffee, thick syrup, fruity, coffee notes. Dancing around in the glass, mixing beautifully together like a lush desert mixed with some great fruits...

Palate
Sweet, chocolate, dried fruits, bit dry tannins and spice, like bit clove coming through? Some leather, combined with dates and banana. Vanilla, cocoa butter, red apple, caramel, maple syrup, heavy dried dark fruits and figs.

There are some lighter citrus like notes in here, and in the combination with apples and bit leathery it gives a strange combination, of which I cant say I like or dislike for now. There are some heavy dark fruits and some bitter coffee/ chocolate notes in the mix with some spices, especially some nutmeg dryness.

Found this one to be a real challenge must say. After a first taste and nosing I tried to ad some water to ease the bitter note (clove?) on the palate a bit. I found that a bit too overpowering. But I am afraid I might have drowned it a bit with that. It still gave me great notes on the palate, but the nose did not had that lushness I encountered at the first nosing. The palate became a bit more mellow and the bitter note subsided and let the more citrus and fresher notes come to the front.

Finish
Medium length finish, bit vanilla and chocolate sweet.

Score
7 out of 10. I like it but also dislike the bitter note in it. It keeps me coming back, but leaves me in a bit of doubt about it.

Love to hear it if people tasted it, and to hear what their thoughts are on this one. It is a great dram for sure, but just dont seem to be able to get to the bottom of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment