Grant's - Sherry cask finish

In the recent Grant's Twitter tasting was the expression bottled at 40% that has been finished Oloroso sherry casks for a couple of months. My notes that I wrote down during the tasting...

The nose has loads of wood and earthy notes I find. Bit of metallic in the back with some nuts, propolis, marmalade and a hint of oranges. Just a faint influence I can find on this nose of the sherry finish...

Palate is much like the nose and shows again the bitterness I found also in some of their other expressions in this tasting, but this one has some more sweet fruity notes to it that cover it up a bit more. After a bit I am getting unripe berries, red berries, black current and soft vanilla. 

The finish is short and has a feeling of vanilla, some wood, citrus marmalade and elder flower. The marmalade bitterness is strong in this one and makes me not like it very much, scoring it an 5 out of 10 at the tasting. Tasting it again a bit later, and letting it breath for quite a time before nosing and tasting I am getting some more citrus notes on the nose but further much of the same as before. The palate is more creamy and less is found of the bitter notes. More the expected sweet Sherry influence on the palate for sure with vanilla pudding, summer fruits, oranges and sultanas. Short but sweet finish still just as before, scoring me now a 6,5 out of 10, it feels a bit more balanced but not enough sadly... 

No comments:

Post a Comment